Friday, October 26, 2012

Rocking My World Friday, 10-26


I am determined to get a post out today, even if it's bare bones! I'm very light on images as my camera has not been working well, and it's making me lazy in taking pics. I may throw in some random shots to dress things up along the way.

I've been MIA for something like ... 4 weeks. Lot's to cover.

OK, 4 weeks ago, my husband swooped me away for a blissful 36 get-away to Sonoma for our 18th wedding anniversary. For those who don't know, Sonoma is right by Napa in the heart of wine country. I prefer to stay on the skirts of Napa these days, as it's really commercial, crowded and overpriced compared to it's equally beautiful neighbors. We stayed at the same hotel my girlfriend and I escaped to earlier in the summer. Hubby flew the small plane up there, which I hadn't been in for quite a while. The weather could not have been more spectacular and the beginning Fall in this part of California is gorgeous.

(Video tour of hotel & Sonoma.  This is a video promoting the hotel however, if you are procrastinating doing work right now, it's a nice little 5 minutes spent because it shows a bit of Sonoma and wine country too. )

After arriving we took a short walk into town and discovered they were having a wine tasting and art festival in the town plaza. The town has a traditional Spanish plaza surrounded by many historic buildings and is a great site in itself. Insert pilfered photos here:

Sonoma plaze - Source: sonomachamber.org

Beautiful trees in Sonoma plaza. Source: www.danhicks.com

City Hall in the plaza's center.
Source: www.sonomavalleyinn.com

Scene from Bottle Shock filmed in Sonoma. If you don't know this movie, check it out. If you have any interest in history or wine you'll like it and if you like Alan Rickman you will love it! Trailer: Bottle Shock trailer
So now that you have some visual references, the rest of the trip was spent very leisurely tasting wines, eating, walking and shopping, eating, having a massage, sipping wine, eating, and more eating. The days were sunny, and the evening was warm and clear with lots of stars. Perfect.

Now when we returned home, I had to do a quick turn because there was more fun coming my way. Months ago (before the anniversary plans came together) I had bought tickets for my girlfriends and I to go to the Mountain Winery for an evening concert. Being that we are of a certain age, we were all teens in the 80's. There's something about the music you listened to in high school that always stays with you. So the venue was the Psychedelic Furs opening for the GoGo's. Warm weather for an outdoor venue in October was fantastic, and add in a beautiful, huge harvest moon and the night was magical!

The following weekend we had a walk to benefit JDRF (Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation). Our family has a team called Trevor's Titans, in honor of my youngest with Type-1 diabetes. Some of his friends and our friends came out and supported us, along with lots of great people who donated so that our team was able to raise $3500!!

Trevor is the boy in black shorts standing with Sharkie - the mascot for our local hockey team. My daughter is in the black hat with my oldest (shaggy) son right behind her. I'm hiding in the back. Can you tell I don't like being in photos?

Last week was a bit of a tough one. Trevor went off for 4 days to a camp with his school class. Having diabetes, he has not gone off without me except for a day or two with a friend, and even then he is usually in constant phone contact with me to figure our blood sugar numbers and insulin doses. We had good planning for this trip, but despite our best efforts his numbers were all over the place and he was not feeling well. I had many conversations each day with the health aide on staff as we tried to see him through. Several times he asked to come home, and I turned him away (harsh). I think it's so important he saw this trip through and got to do all the things his classmates did. I get to pick him up in an hour, so let's hope my mothering instincts were correct and I'm not going to regret the tough-love route I took.

Well that was more of a re-cap and not truly a gratitude tribute, but I'm going to let myself off the hook this go-around, just happy to get something out there this week. I actually started this post last Friday, if you can believe it, and have been distracted with various tasks since then.

I hope everyone else has been having good weeks and I'm in desperate need to catch up on all the goings on. I keep seeing Carmen's happy icon in Pinterest and can't wait to see how she's faring. Lot's of love to all you Rockers and Happy Friday!

sabrina

4 comments:

  1. OK, first off - it's so good to see you back, I've missed you! Secondly, and I quote, "Hubby flew the small plane up there"!!!!! Wowzers, how cool is that?! WTG Trevor's Titans and that amazing sum raised, that's such a cute pic of you and your kids too. I hope Trevor is ok after his trip away - it's so hard being a Mum isn't it? I know every bone in your body will have been wanting to get him back from the camp so he could be safe at home BUT you did the right thing to make sure he stayed. I so hope he comes back happy to have seen the camp through to the end.

    I'll be back later to watch Alan Rickman in the trailer - love love love him!

    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh a trip with hubby - sounds awesome and what a beautiful part of the country - so lucky!!!! I loved the plane statement after I'd picked my jaw up off the floor that is! You raised an amazing amount of money and I liked your tough love support for dear son - hopefully he'll appreciate the reasons and also have had an awesome time to boot!

    I too love Alan Rickman so will check out the trailer.

    May you have a beautiful and blessed week ahead.

    Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  3. Carmens happy icon - that makes me smile big time :D

    Like Jo I was all - flew the small plane up there? Whoa! And does that mean you also have a big plane too? :D What an amazing time it sounds like you had. I will also be back to check out Alan Rickman later - I love him!

    I hope your son did appreciate your tough love, it was probably as hard on you as t was for him and it would have been so hard for him to hear all the great stuff his friends had done AFTER he had left.

    What an amazing amount of money raised on the walk - excellent news, well done :)

    Hope you have a lovely week Sabrina :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great post. Those photos are gorgeous. Trip sounds fabulous and well done with the walk. Happy Tuesday, jenx

    ReplyDelete