Sunday, February 12, 2012

Woven Heart Pocket Tutorial



A while back I shared this Vintage Woven Heart

front

back

And another one I made around Christmas.


Last week on Tag Tuesday, the theme was HEART, so I thought I'd make a tag version  of the woven heart pocket. 



This tag is a 3" version, but you can make any size depending on how large your starting paper is. 

I like to make my template from a manilla folder, and I take advantage of the nice fold already in place.  
Cut 2 of the template shapes. (These are identical shapes, I'm just showing one folded, and one open.) These will be each half of your heart. I like to use contrasting papers, but you could also have them match. The easiest way is to fold the paper and use the folded up version of the template. If the the paper is too thick to cut through 2 layers at once, open up your template and cut it out flat. 

Then you start weaving. Just remember you want to end up with a pocket, so you can't just push the folded piece through.  Each strip must go on both the outsides or both the insides. Just get started and you'll see what I mean. I like my strips cut 1" wide. You can make them narrower and have a more complicated weave, but it gets hard to manipulate the paper and it can start to tear. 1" is very sturdy and practical. 
Weave each strip, and then push it toward the top to make room for the next. Make sure  you can open the heart like a pocket after each strip. If it doesn't, you tried to weave the folded strip as one unit. Undo that strip and try again.

Here's the pocket with the weaving done. Isn't it cute?

This is what I mean when I say it opens like a pocket. 

Here's the best part. Use strips of paper, ribbon, fabric, whatever you want to weave through your heart. I just use a little glue near the top edge. These pieces fold over to the back side, but you could also adorn each side differently. After they are in to my liking, I just trim them to the top edge of the heart. 

Since you can peek inside, we want it looking nice too! Use your heart as it's own template to cut a liner for the 2 sides of the inside. I trim the V a little so it fits snugly inside. 

I finished off with some distress ink to the edge and an eyelet to the front-left, and back-right, and tied it with a little jute.  
These can be a little addictive. They are great for using up "trim" pieces of papers and fabrics. 

There's still time to make some of these for Valentines. They are perfect for slipping in a little love note, gift card, recipe, or tiny gift. Let me know what you come up with! 

Sabrina


6 comments:

  1. Thank you sooooo much, for sharing this fabulous tutorial, Hugs May x x x x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Sabrina! This is great, I'll be making some today for my sweet Valentine.

    xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Sabrina,
    Your hearts are beautiful, thanks for sharing the how-to.
    I was just popping in to wish you a lovely Valentine's Day filled with magical goodness!
    hugs,
    Kimberly

    ReplyDelete
  4. These are so cute, Sabrina! Thanks for the tutorial!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Fabulous technique and such beautiful results! Thanks for sharing how you make these lovely pieces!

    ReplyDelete